Saturday, September 4, 2010

Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins

In somewhat of a departure for me, I just completed Mockingjay, the final book in Suzanne Collins gripping Hunger Games trilogy.  Along with scores of others, I was on the edge of my seat waiting for this installment to come out.  I really wanted to listen to the audio as I did with the previous titles in the series.  However, I was too far down on the waiting list at the library and couldn't bear to wait for 2 or 3 months.  So, I checked out the book and finished it in two days.  Like the other titles, this one left me feeling breathless and plenty horrified.  The reality of war cannot be denied in Collins dark tale.  While reading, I often found myself asking if humans could really sink to such lows and sadly realized, in many ways we already have.  As soon as I turned the last page, I rushed to find someone to talk to about the experience.  My co-workers all agreed that this is not a title to read and close without another thought.  It begs for thoughtful discussion - and maybe a little group therapy.  Excellent from the beginning of the series to the final page of Mockingjay (a final page that I re-read several times before I could let the book go), this is one of the top Science Fiction novels I have read.

No comments: